Sunday 7 February 2016

Question 7

- Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full project?

Basics - learning the basics gradually came throughout the whole project. To start off with I was unaware of what makes a really good strong successful overall project. So to start off with before the main project I was required to complete the preliminary tasks, this then allowed me to get to grips with all of the basic essentials. It also allowed me to learn about the media production and all of the rules such as to not pan then pan back again. It also gave me a key insight into using and performing several different camera shots. So overall during  the preliminary task I gathered a valuable amount of knowledge on the camera, editing software and planning as well as working in a team, therefore allowing me to produce a higher standard of film quality or my final piece.

Camera shots - The planning process and preliminary task heavily helped me to gather a large amount of key insight into a variety of different shot types and camera angles used within films that I have watched such as many thrillers I studied. This then enabled me to use and create several shot types that I knew would help to create suspense and tension key aspects I need for a good thriller movie. These camera angles consist of close ups used to create a sense of tension, over the shoulder shots for a insight into the antagonist and a first person view that shows everything the victim can see therefore placing the audience in there position, all of these shots and more engage the audiences emotions. The most crucially used shot being the over the shoulder shot positioning the viewer directly in the antagonists place, forcing the audience to endure a frightful and chilling perspective.

Planning - when we planned our thriller on paper and posted it on the blog it then enabled us to be able to refer back to it when we needed it for things such as storyboard details, listing camera angles and shots and the character details. Some of these things inspired us but really it helped to have visually details to each part such as every scene wrote down in writing as well as having detailed drawings to match as well. The most influential and important part that proved the most vital was the different types of planning methods such as the storyboard, this was key for me in creating new material for my final piece.
Group members - After having previous experience of working in a group of people I wouldn't usually work with for the preliminary task, this gave me key methods on how to work quickly and effectively to an exceptionally high standard. We agreed that from the previous experience, to work successfully as a group we needed to divide responsibilities and make sure everyone was contributing clearly. This made it so there was equal roles in the planning, filming and editing stages of production. Despite dividing responsibilities we all had large input into each part, such as sharing ideas and information. This helped produce key ideas and planning strength as well as a good overall product. From this also it made the filming go a lot smoother too as every piece was detailed. This worked really effectively without a doubt.

Any changes - From the planning it can be seen that there were a handle of changes that had been made such as the shot at the end to show the psycho's face we decided to take this out as it looses any suspense it gained at the start. We also cut out the part of the antagonist eating breakfast as it was a boring scene that lasted too long and was unnecessary.  There was also parts of the storyline we decided to change as possibly they lost the tension. Other then these things we tried to stick as best as possible to the plan that we had.
The things learnt - The best part of this whole project that proved the most influential was the filming with the camera as it has made me want to get out and film more along with take more pictures too. The editing process was very insightful, this enabled me to learn a lot of new skills such as using the transitions effectively, as well as adding in my own titles and sound. I also discovered how to cut down long clips to shorten them which will prove essential in future tasks and projects. I also found out how to alter the picture colour via the editing software from Colour to black and white. For the upcoming projects I am now throughly sure on how to use all of these techniques to the highest standard. At the start of this project lack of experience was a understatement but now after learning so much I can now confidently say I have successfully developed and used my key understandings and methods learnt throughly throughout this particular task.

No comments:

Post a Comment